A paint roller is one of the best ways to apply concrete sealer and this article will show you why. How do you prepare the surface for a sealer? Are you sealing a garage floor, a new patio, or a concrete countertop? What should you be careful about? These are all the questions that we will attempt to answer in this article. But first, a quick overview:
To apply concrete sealer with a roller first stir and prepare your sealant, next pour enough in the center of the area you are sealing and use your roller to work it from the middle outwards, cover the area completely with a thin even layer and let it dry. Once dry add a second layer if required.
Table of Contents
How Do You Prepare the Surface for the Sealer?
Now, before you apply sealer to the concrete surface, it needs to be prepared so no impurities, oil, grease, or moisture gets trapped underneath the sealer. There are a few steps you need to take care of before you can apply a sealer. This is not a 1-day job but it is something you can do entirely on your own, without needing any kind of backup or professional help. The following are the steps you need to follow:
- 1If the concrete has been freshly poured, allow it to set and cure properly before applying the sealer. Note that it needs at least 3 weeks to set properly before you can apply the sealer.
- 2If there are any cracks or holes in the concrete, fix them before applying the sealer. Use a concrete patch to fill the cracks and allow it to dry completely.
- 3Sweep the surface once the cracks have been filled and ensure that all the loose dirt has been removed.
- 4Give the concrete surface a good scrub with a brush and soap to remove all oil and grease. Alternatively, you can also use a hose or power washer to remove all oil stains.
- 5Allow the concrete to dry for at least 24 hours before you apply the sealer. It is important that the concrete is completely dry so you do not trap moisture with the sealer.
Here is an easy guide to buying the right concrete sealer.
Instructions for Using a Roller
Using a roller is actually a lot simpler and effective than using a brush. You will get a more even coat with a roller and it also requires fewer trips back and forth than a brush would.
The following are the instructions for applying sealer with a roller:
- 1A 3/8-inch nap paint roller is one of the most popular and effective products in the market. It is used mostly by professionals which means it can serve you well.
- 2Before pouring the sealer out of the container, use a clean stick to stir the sealer. This ensures that it is mixed thoroughly and there will be no lumps when you pour it out.
- 3Start at the back end of the surface. Pour enough sealer out of the bucket to cover at least 10 x 10 feet of the area. Start pouring at the center and then start spreading sideways with the roller.
- 4Roll the roller over the sealer to get even coverage. Now, move the roller back and forth and push the sealer out to the edge of the surface so you cover all the space.
- 5Start with a thin coat of sealer. Once you have covered the entire surface with the sealer, wait for it to dry. Read the manufacturer’s instructions to see how long you should wait.
- 6Once you have waited the stipulated amount of time, apply at least two more thin coats of sealer. Wait the same amount of time between each coat to ensure it is dry when you apply the next coat.
- 7Try to put all the coats on the same day so there are no disparities in color.
- 8Allow the surface to dry completely for at least 48 hours before you walk on it or allow any vehicle (if this is your driveway) on it.
Some Tips to Keep in Mind
When you are thinking about doing a sealing job by yourself, you may want to keep certain things in mind.
Here are a few tips that should be helpful:
Here is our review on the different types of sealers you may find useful.
Using a concrete sealer is important if you do not want to spend more money on repairing damaged, decorative concrete. Sealers ensure the longevity of your concrete so even if it seems like extra work, it will be worth it in the long run. Besides, even if it is time consuming, it is a fairly easy job to do. Think of all the money you get to save doing an effortless job that will last for years.